The Fort Myers Rotary Club (“Club”) established the Trust Fund in 1978 as a 501 (c)(3) organization, operated under a Trust agreement. Contributions to the Trust Fund come in a variety of ways, and began with a generous bequest from a single member. The Club holds several fundraisers during the year and requests contributions from members and friends , which are tax exempt as permitted under applicable tax codes. Club scholarships are provided through the Trust Fund.
The Scholarship Committee is responsible for reviewing requests for the Club’s scholarships. The Scholarship Committee reviews applications and makes the appropriate recommendations to the Board of Directors acting as Trustees of the Trust Fund.
- Two letters of recommendation: One from an academic reference, such as a teacher or guidance counselor, and one from someone outside the student’s educational institution, such as a community leader, employer, or business owner.
- Essay (minimum 500 words, 12 pt. font, double spaced) explaining future goals, community involvement, and a general knowledge/understanding of Rotary.
- Resume with outline of accomplishments
- Copy of high school transcript or college transcript. Copy of high school transcript or college transcript. Both high school and college transcripts are required if the applicant/student is in their first year of college.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA (unweighted).
- All applications are due by March 30. Recipients will be announced by April 30.
- If a scholarship is awarded, the Recipient will need to provide his/her/their social security number.
- The scholarship opportunity is open to all Lee County High School students and Lee County residents, having a 3.0 GPA (unweighted) or higher, and currently attending any Florida college or university.
- All applicants for a scholarship must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program with in an accredited college, university, or in an accredited program offered by a technical or vocational school, located in Florida.
- If awarded, a scholarship of $2,000.00 will be paid out in one or two installments, pursuant to the discretion of the Scholarship Committee. Applicants may reapply each year, however there is no guarantee of award. Applicants awarded a $2,000.00 scholarship (“Recipients”) may reapply for and may receive one renewal scholarship, so long as the Recipient has maintained at least a 3.0 GPA (unweighted), however, there is no guarantee of a renewal scholarship for any Recipient. A renewal scholarship, if awarded, shall be paid out in one or two additional, separate installments, pursuant to the discretion of the Scholarship Committee. The maximum scholarship award that a single Recipient may receive from the Club is $4,000.00, which will be paid in installments, pursuant to the discretion of the Scholarship Committee. Only the fall and spring semesters shall be eligible college terms.
- Financial Need will be a consideration, but not a requirement.
- Rotary Interact or Rotaract membership/involvement is not a requirement, but will be viewed favorably.
- Relatives of Rotary members may apply.
- Scholarship Recipients are required to attend one Rotary meeting during their first college year.
- Scholarship money is provided directly to the student. Funds will be released upon the receipt of proof of enrollment.
Scholarship application deadlines are the 30th of March. Recipients will be announced by the 30th of April.